The Levolux range of fabricated fins enables the use of aerofoil profiles, much larger than those which can be produced by conventional extrusion. Levolux fabricated fins not only offer a high level of sunshading but allow the designer to create an aesthetically striking system that adds a new and powerful dynamic to the overall architectural concept.
They may be used as an integral element in a brise-soleil system but, rather than being extruded in one-piece, fabricated fins are produced in a similar way to an aircraft wing. Each fin has two extruded aluminium sections which form an edge nosing and these are held in place at either end by shaped aluminium plates. The ‘skin’ of the fin consists of sheet aluminium, which provides the principal shading element.
The Aesthetic and Practical Solution
The use of aluminium makes the fins light in weight, easy to fabricate, visually pleasing and non-corroding so maintenance is kept to a minimum. Different degrees of shading can be provided by the use of perforated aluminium sheet so that some light is allowed to filter through thus lightening the building’s interior.
Fabricated fins contribute enormously to a building’s aesthetics and may be installed in horizontal ‘banks’ or in vertical ‘stacks’, one above the other. They can either be mounted at a fixed angle or may be adjustable and fully motorised so that they provide sophisticated control of the internal environment in response to external light levels. Total automation may be accomplished through the use of solar controls or integration with the building management system.
Levolux fabricated fins are available in a natural mill finish, anodised, powder coated or with a highly durable PVF type coating applied. Perforated fins are also available.
Features & Benefits of Fabricated Fins
- Aesthetically pleasing – Fabricated Fins enable aerofoil profiles to be manufactured in larger widths or perforated options which create an aesthetically striking feature on any building.
- Virtually maintenance free - Stainless steel fastenings and fixings are used, producing a virtually maintenance free and corrosion-resistant system.
- Reduces energy costs – Energy costs are kept to a minimum due to the efficient way in which the fabricated fins minimise solar heat gain within the building.
- Comfortable environment - Large Aerofoil Fins allow a significant level of natural daylight into the building whilst reducing solar gain. Additionally, the wide spacing allows good outward visibility with less clutter to the sight line. Furthermore, they fit in well with the concept of natural ventilation, and provide excellent control of the internal environment if controlled automatically or linked to the Building Management System.
- Flexibility - Fins can be installed on new buildings or as part of a refurbishment of an existing building.
- Accessibility - In order to provide access for maintenance, Levolux Fabricated Fins can be integrated into a complete façade system, incorporating walkway, handrail and latchway system.
The Range of Fabricated Fins Options
Levolux Aerofoil Fins are available in varying widths from 100mm to 500mm as standard, other sizes can be considered, as can different shapes and materials. Due to the flexibility of the system, it is generally possible to design solutions to meet the specific requirements of the architect and client.
All components are subject to rigid quality standards and are designed to produce a high performance product with an aesthetically pleasing finish.
The first fix brackets, support arms and structure can be manufactured from either steel or extruded aluminium, dependent upon each application’s building needs and loadings. Fins are normally manufactured as one piece extruded aluminium sections up to a maximum width, at present, of 500mm. Multi part fins are also available for generally larger width requirements. The method of “fixing” the fins once again can vary greatly depending on the façade and structural requirements together with the degree of shading required.
Walkways (optional) can be either steel (grid type) or extruded aluminium ‘T’ sections. Controls (optional) of various types are available to provide manual, motorized or fully automatic operation. Automatic controls can be stand alone or integrated into the Building Management System.
Aluminium systems can be provided in a wide range of finishes including mill, anodised or polyester powder coated. Steel components can be supplied in stainless steel or can be manufactured from mild steel with a galvanised and/or multi-pack paint finish.